Friday, November 4, 2011

We're Going to Win in 2012!

Yesterday I issued an email containing a press release stating my candidacy for N.C. House District 59. Since then, I have received a lot of positive feedback and encouragement about my campaign.

I am very thankful for all of the support that I have received in the past 24 hours. We are on track to build a strong and successful campaign. There is no question that our efforts will be successful if we work together and stay focused.

Now I would like to explain why I decided to run for this position and why the announcement was made when it was.

Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Justice pre-cleared the redistricting maps that were passed into law by the General Assembly. This indicates that the maps are legal and that they are in compliance with the Voting Rights Act.

Although there will be lawsuits, it is now more difficult for the maps to be challenged in court. Therefore, it appears likely that the maps will go into effect for the 2012 elections.

Under the new maps, I am located in N.C. House District 59, which is an open seat. This particular district leans Republican in voter registration, which makes it very winnable for a conservative candidate.

After discovering that I would be living in this district, I decided that I would more than likely make a run for it. I then began to lay the groundwork for a possible campaign, but I didn't want to go public with my intentions until the maps were cleared.

When the maps were cleared earlier this week, I knew that it was time to go public with my intentions. I then put together a press release, which I submitted to the local media on Wednesday night.

Running for public office in 2010 was a fantastic experience. I met a lot of great folks and learned a lot on the campaign trail. Being a candidate was a humbling experience and it increased my passion for public service.

As you know, we have been faced with a serious economic downturn in North Carolina. In fact, the unemployment rate here is higher than the national average. This, of course, is unacceptable.

Fortunately, the citizens of North Carolina elected a conservative majority to the General Assembly in 2010 for the first time in over a century. But there is still work to be done. It is important that we expand our conservative majority in the General Assembly and elect a Republican governor in 2012.

As we move forward, we are going to run a positive campaign that focuses on ideas and solutions. Economic development and job creation are going to be the most important part of my platform. As a fiscal conservative, I believe that we must rely on the private sector, not the government, to pull us out of this recession.

Please know that I need your support to make this campaign a success. I am dedicated to winning this election but I need your help to make it happen. There is no way that I could do this without generous support from people like you.

North Carolina is my home and I want to help secure a bright future for our citizens. Times are tough but I know that our best days are still ahead. Best wishes and I look forward to seeing you soon!